Saturday, May 26, 2012

MAY'S MISERY

I'm getting in a bit earlier this time because, although May has not quite ended, my social activity has ceased, so I can report the results now.

Are you ready for this? With lumps in my ticker and tears in my eyes I must report a couple of crappy occasions:

Wednesday 23. My book launch in Geelong was a non-event. Roberta and I travelled the long journey by car and, after a brief look around the CBD window shopping and having lunch, we set up at the local library for a busy afternoon of talking to dozens of old and new friends, signing books and, hopefully, at least covering the costs of petrol expenses and accommodation. The library had done a magnificent job of advertising our visit with a large poster at the entrance, but both of the local newspapers had ignored the media releases and photographs I had sent them several days earlier and they printed nary a word.

Two hours and NO (not even one) people later, we decided to 'pull the plug' and head back home to Bendigo. Over those two hours, however, we had chatted with two members of the library staff who were most helpful with tips and suggestions of how to go about promoting my book, so we returned home feeling all was not lost.

Two weeks earlier I had sent an autographed copy of my book to Sam Newman at the AFL Footy Show on Channel 9, referring to the fact that I knew Bill Brownless (a regular on the show and former player of the Geelong Football Club) and had made reference in the book of how I used to 'play football' in my bed when I was a child.

I asked Sam if he would be so kind as to mention on the show that I was coming to Geelong for a book launch, but I received neither acknowledgement of the book nor a mention on the show. That didn't particularly surprise me though because I realise the show must be inundated with these sorts of requests, but I thought an acknowledgement would have been nice.

Saturday 26. An asthmatic, Roberta attended the Bendigo RSL Club with me, where we had dinner and that was all for her. The proposed respite care she had engaged for her three young children at home advised her she could only stay from 6 to 8 p.m. which meant poor Roberta had to return home virtually straight away to contend both with her children and her asthma, instead of having a night out being entertained by The Impalas on their "Last Night Stand".

I stayed there at the club until 10.30 and tried to enjoy myself, but it just wasn't the same without my date. My brother Geoff (who was in the band on their last engagement after 48 years in show business) and their families were there, together with my daughter Leanne, and I chatted with them of course, but my heart was elsewhere.

So much for my May Mayhem! This all discourages me somewhat for future social activity, but I'll bounce back for another go no doubt when/if an opportunity presents itself. Meanwhile I'll try to stay warm and keep thinking about a trip to New Zealand - maybe in the Summer!

No comments: